Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Tuesday Sept. 9

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I don't know how to put this world I've been in into words. But I will try...

Today I watched my 14 year old patient die right in front of me. I'm trying to grasp just what happened and am wondering if my face was the last thing she saw or if Anne Marie's yelling at the crowd that had gathered for entertainment to get out was the last thing she heard, or if she was already too far gone this morning. She came two weeks ago with lymphatic TB and seemed healthy enough. The past 3 days she declined fast - fever, vomiting, diarrhea - perhaps it was the TB, perhaps drinking river water, perhaps voodoo. I'm wondering if the last is true. We found a red scarf with her mother yesterday and old questionable scars on the girl today. Her getting worse so fast left us speechless. Never the less, she was just a girl, yearning for attention everytime I entered her room...

This is all to add to the aftermath of Ike. Life is going on as normal but it seems I hear of more and more destruction with everyone I talk to. Hannah took out the gardens and the roads, Ike took out the houses, animals, and whatever progress was made on our water system. Six houses in Passe Catabois were destroyed and we hear maybe a quarter of the patients in teh hospital lost homes as well. I don't understand. Everyone already has almost nothing and it can actually get worse. Anne Marie said it well, if you keep working you don't have time to sit down and think about the misery that's happened. It's true, but I feel a little distant from the effects of it all, besides that fact we have no running water. I still have a solid house, a bed, and food to eat. My existence doesn't depend on the fruit of my garden or my animals that are now destroyed.

Needless to say, it has not been a good day. But, among the hardship there has been some light. After Rob and Anne Marie asked for help, a dutch foundation is donating 10,000 euros for rebuilding houses. And we've heard of two potential helicopters that can fly in with food from Port au Prince. It seems it takes a hurricane to get the attention to help the people here.

So today we are surviving.
I may smell, this is true, but I have one coke left in the fridge when my water runs out!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless you for the work you are doing and know that our prayers are with you!!!!!How's the baby boy you were caring for? We sent prayer requests for all of you including the Haitian people to our daughter's YWAM base in Colorado Springs. They are trying to get a disaster response team together to send to Haiti. Haang in there and thanks for your blog reports!!!Sue Shelton

Anonymous said...

Ryna, God is truly alive and well in you. Our prayers have been with you throughout this hurricane season. May the love and prayers of all those who love you comfort you. My prayers are with you as you loose another child but knowing that you were there somehow gives me comfort knowing she knew the face and love of a good christian woman. Keep smiling and Ihope you are getting to take a few pictures. Love Ellen:0

The Pells said...

Hey Ryna. We are praying for you. Love you.

Anonymous said...

HI, Ryna, We love reading your commentary on life there in Haiti, but are so sorry that the conditions are even worse than normal. Our prayers are with you! And yes, if you stay very busy, you will have little time to think about things. Dennis and Margaret

Anonymous said...

Hi Ryna,
You've seen a lot of pain and loss lately. God bless ya for entering into it and seeing Him there in the middle of it all. We're praying for you.
Pastor Gordon

Anonymous said...

Ryna, Praying for you. I am keeping up with your blog. Blogging is hard in Catabois. Thank you for doing it. It gives me a window into your world. I am headed down to see you and Rob & AM September 30th. You probably know this already. Do you need me to bring you anything? M kwe w kapab pale creole byen kounye a, non? M'ap kontinye priye pou w e pou tout moun Catabois. Bondye beni w. Se zanmi Jeb k'ap ekri lèt la.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ryna,
I pray for you everyday. I'm sorry you are apart from us with Papa Roy's passing. We feel your prayers and presence here and know it is difficult for you. Have a good cry and let it out. Big hug!
I pray the water will come soon and I give you permission to grow those dreadlocks after all :-)
I Love you so much!
Mom